Monday 3 November 2014

Hospital bag essentials

Packing your hospital bag can be quite daunting, you don't want to over pack, but on the other hand you obviously don't want to leave any essentials at home.

This is just my guide to the things i packed in my hospital bag. To start with i had two bags, one for me and for the baby. I used a small trolley case for my items, just from wilkos, and used my babies changing bag to keep his essentials.

My hospital bag: 


  • Nightwear: I would say a least x2, as you just don't know how messy you will be or how many days you will spend in hospital, so always better to be on the safe side. 
  • A dressing gown: For obvious reasons, its comfy for walking around in, and i found it to be a pretty convenient cover up for when i had family visiting us. 
  • Slippers: Something comfortable, and i had some that were suitable to wear in the shower too. 
  • Comfortable cotton briefs: At least 2/3 pairs, a lot of other essential check lists also tell you to pack the disposable briefs, which i did, but hated. I would recommend just getting a pack from somewhere like primark, that you can always dispose of if you want to. Mine were really comfy and came in really handy, especially considering i had a a c-section.
  • Maternity towels: x48- I got mine from boots, but have heard from friends that they used tesco and Asda own brands too, and they did the job. 
  • Nursing bra: I don't think i even bothered wearing one in the hospital, but its something you will need once you get back home.
  • Breast pads: You defo need these if you are planning on breast feeding, I'm still using mine! 
  • Toiletries: tooth brush/toothpaste; lip balm; hairbrush (i actually forgot mine lol) it was on my list though! light makeup and oh a towel or two!
  • Birthing plan and notes
  • Coins/money for the car park
  • Mobile phone and charger 
  • Drinks and snacks 
  • Comfortable clothes for going home in. 

My babies hospital bag: 

http://www.boots.com/en/Koto-Leatherette-Baby-Changing-Bag-Brown_1022162/

Koto Leatherette Baby Changing Bag



  • Nappies: I took around 10 with me and was in hospital for three days, so had to send my husband home to pick up some more. You shouldn't really need any more than 10 if you are only in for 1 night though. 
  • Newborn gentle wipes: I used the Johnson's baby extra sensitive ones 
  • Vests: These can be long or short sleeved with poppers at the bottom to keep the nappy secure
  • Sleep suits: x2 
  • Baby blanket: x2 
  • Hat and mittens x 2 
  • Going home outfit: I took 2 
  • Pack of muslin's 
  • Baby towel
  • Baby bath products 
  • Baby car seat: Hospitals do not always let you leave the hospital without one now
So that's about everything i packed for me and my baby. I would suggest taking some spare clothes, a tooth brush, and some snacks for your partner too, ( i didn't) but wish i had as we were at the hospital for longer than we had planned and my husband was staying with me. 

It would probably also be a good idea to take your breast feeding pillow with you, and your own pillow, just to make you feel a little more comfortable if you do end up spending more than 1 night at the hospital. 

It does seem like A LOT of stuff, but honestly i think it is defo better to have everything you might need with you, rather than having your other half running around trying to find things while your in hospital. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment